Saturday, November 6, 2010

Metroid: Other M




I was so excited for this. Despite the Prime series being completely epic, I still hungered for a old time Metroid game. And with today's game play and mechanics, this was the closest thing too it. Sadly, with lack of content, odd difficulty settings, and minor define flaws this Metroid makes itself one of the weakest installments in the decade.

Story: 85/100

Really I had no problem with the story. It explains a lot of things that lead into Fusion, and Samus is portrayed as a human being. Most fans say that she acts like a wimp, especially during a certain scene...


Regardless if you watch it, Samus freaks out about Ridley. It makes it seem like even though she never had a problem with him in the past 5 fights, why now? I can see this argument, but she's also never had emotion, so I think it fit alright. Also seeing old members of the military probably stirred memories up, but whatever. 

More into the story, it explains a bottleship that was used to create another Space Pirate Army, and the game is about crushing that ship and stopping the revival of a new AI similar to mother. (Revival..more like warfare)

The story is quite simple really, and takes place after Super Metroid..

Metroid > prime 1 > prime 2 > prime3 > M II > SM > Other M > Fusion (for those who didn't know)

All in all the story is an 85, didn't wow me, didn't have Prime's scan feature to figure it out yourself, but it was okay.

Sound: 94/100

Amazing as usual. I love the Metroid themes, though they did sound a bit different on this game compared to Prime, but still. The Ridley theme was as awesome as ever. Memorable music, if you ask me.

Graphics: 100/100

Some of the best on the Wii. I'm stunned the Wii can even go this far...



That looks absolutely beautiful, and flawless for the Wii in my opinion.

Gameplay: 90/100

It has the great third person I wanted, yet it feels too much like Ninja Gaiden (wonder why) I love it, but I wished there wasn't invisible walls everywhere (common Ninja Gaiden theme back in the day, no?) I also wish you didn't stand still in FPS mode. I wish you could just fire the missiles in third person. Other than that, the combat is smooth and flawless. The game's difficulties were also a bit off for me, making the hard runs very different, and not very inspiring.

Value: 60/100

This is where they dropped the ball. It takes twenty hours max for 100%, which is pathetic. Most Metroids take way more, Prime takes around 40 for all three difficulties (55 for me). The Trilogy takes 100+, etc.

Also the cutscenes that make a movie make a very disjointed and annoying movie. So hardly any replay value is installed in this game at all.

Bottom Line:

If you don't mind it being short, or not living up to the other installments, it's a great game, but it's not worth 50 dollars. If it had more content it would've been amazing, but it just feels half made towards the end. Yet you still praise it, because what they did make was pretty okay. 

85+94+100+90+60

Score: 85.8


Next Time: Episode II Pokemon & then Metroid Prime Trilogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment